New Land Rover owner questions

Longshaor

Hi Everyone,

I'm still pulling together all the little bits for my Series III 109 FFR (ex-10 Para) and I've got a couple of (probably) very basic questions.

First, did Rover supply Series IIIs to the Army with a bottle jack or some other type of jack?

If it was a bottle jack, does anyone have basic dimensions?

Where was it stored?

On a somewhat unrelated note, where would I go to find out how to wire up the antennae on my FFR?

Thanks in advance,

Atherton

I think series III's had screw jacks. Some had boxes under the bonnet and the jack handle clipped under the bonnet.

With Antennas are you talking wing mounted or rear side mounted?

Someone will have piccies of the exact positioning wiring etc

Ernest Lake , 1 ton , screw , multiple-stage

=====================================

http://www.mgaroadster.co.uk/Ern_Lake_Jacks.htm

Scrol down , described incorrectly as 4 Ton , it is a 1 ton.

Can be with a two piece handle + metal cranked for winding.

Most common MOD supplied is a single piece (as fitted under-bonnet securings on Lightweight) , this had a timber cranking handle , they must have been used as camp fire-wood - you never received one. They are readily available under a Rover No. or ash reproduction on eBay (more expensive).

Not listed as far as I am able to establish on Solihull , standard accessories , so Ordnance Depot equipped . MOD must have done direct bulk purchase with Lake (that ISTR. produced in main jacks for ford , factory - Brockhouse Harvey Frost , Bishop Stortford (now the norm - housing estate).

Ord. dept. branded the actual military vehicle registration number on the jack - so you knew if yours was nicked LoL

IMG_0756_zpsk5vz3xjd.jpg

IMG_0760_zpsy3kgwrsu.jpg

IMG_0758_zpsrjpxkbyk.jpg

IMG_0761_zpssb8hldz9.jpg

Edited by ruxy
amd.

Thanks for all the information! Especially the link to the Ernest Lake site, that's going to be very useful.

fesm_ntd: I need the wiring information for BOTH the wing boxes and the side masts. I have antennae installed, however there's no wiring for them.

Thanks again,

Atherton

Hi Everyone,

I'm still pulling together all the little bits for my Series III 109 FFR (ex-10 Para) and I've got a couple of (probably) very basic questions.

First, did Rover supply Series IIIs to the Army with a bottle jack or some other type of jack?

If it was a bottle jack, does anyone have basic dimensions?

Where was it stored?

On a somewhat unrelated note, where would I go to find out how to wire up the antennae on my FFR?

Thanks in advance,

Atherton

============================

It all depends on the age of your 109" for front wing antenna

Early S3 with Larkspur ATU box

Early S3 with cable stowage box (additional surface mount) on front wing for Clansman TUAAM

Late S3 with small lid on top of wing with purpose stowage (underside) - later Solihull installed front wings intended for Clansman

----

IIRC 109" FFR early would have Larkspur cables as standard & stowage point on inner wing , Clansman - involves the modifications.

That is the one , odd times you do see one that is half the thickness but seems to me too small, I have one of these and it has a FV No. so the correct one must ? There is no Rover No.

----------------

Not quite BUT sometimes used

WingBox.jpg

Edited by ruxy
add pic

Yes , on a Lightweight the stowage clamping facility is for both , the starting handle (grip) goes through the big red grommet that you can see to the right of the jack handle eye.

Been trying to find a photograph of the proper timber handle , should have one somewhere but can't find it to take another picture. Strange , Solihull gave you a toolbox to stow the jack (Lightweight early or late) BUT no where to stow the actual timber handle LoL

I know the front of a 101" has a longer starting handle (handy for Lightweight when NATO pintle bolted to front bumper) , 101" jacking - can't recall ,,

OK, mine doesn't have these. About 6 to 9-inches behind the TUAAM box there is a hole through each wing about 2-inches in diameter. It's covered by a hinged plate and secured at the front end with a single screw. Inside the hole is a cable with an 'L' shaped boot and pin connector. I know the vehicle served until 1993, so is this a later modification or something else entirely?

If it's light enough when I get home I'll take some photos.

....and sits on the wing just behind the TUAAM box. This is what the cable box looks like:

Photograph(s) needed , 2" hole sounds about correct for the later FFR Clansman specific wings , it had a weather-seal grommet. Could have lost the original lid/cover or local modification to early wing near copy to the later design ?

Photos of the wings below. Each wing has a little compartment under that flap with two wires in it, one is an 'L' shaped plug with a coaxial pin and the other an 'L' shaped plug with 7 pins. There were also the broken remains of what looked like plastic clips for the wires inside the compartments.

DSC09509.jpg

DSC09510.jpg

Thanks, ruxy!

OK, I think I have this now. Both cables come out of the hole through the raised channel in the cover, through the opening in the side of the TUAAM box (which is missing the rubber weather seal), plug into the TUAAM which then plugs into the antenna jack in the top of the TUAAM box. Do I have that right?

Edited by Longshaor
spelling